Saturday, September 17, 2016

na wè

Haiti.

I've made two journeys to this country. the second time I traveled, this past July, I learned a lot more than my trip back in 2013. part of it could be that I had familiar people with me and part of it could be that I was too young to understand what I understand now. either way, it has taken me quite some time to process all of it (I'm still in awe.) and i would like to share with you some of my observations and some of the lovely human beings I met. 

cultural observations:

things are so worn down and dirty, yet so colorful and beautiful and full of life 

anyone who can afford to purchase/is lucky enough to find a siren can place it on their vehicle

people live on the streets because they are afraid of what they have/don't have to go home to

a woman with a shoe business, but doesn't have any on her own feet

the smell of burnt trash

so much dirt that you can't see clearly out the windows when going very fast

a male riding in the back of a garbage truck sleeping

little girls jump roping

a majority of drivers are male

a branch in the road means a broken down vehicle is ahead

soda bottle fences

filling old gas cans at wells for drinking water

scripture on buildings, cars, buses, etc. 

when passing by Haitians, they all looked so worn down and a simple wave or smile first changed that.




personal observations/things learned:

it is so important to love on others with no limits and no expectations 

it's so important to listen to others with the intent to understand 

showing others you care about them looks very different depending on age, sex, culture, person. and that just because it's not the same way you would show you care, doesn't mean it didn't take every ounce of energy or courage for them to show you

people put pride in parts of them that need loving the most

if you give someone the option to love, they will

silence isn't always bad or awkward

we may speak different languages but God listens and understands us when we call on Jesus 

you can fall in love with every person you meet

showing love to others is just as important as the hard physical labor 

emotional exhaustion wears you out faster than physical 

letting your guard down and allowing discomfort in is the easiest way to realize the reality of the life you're living

the truth will always reveal itself

count it all as joy






Meet Lukenson. He stole my heart the first moment I saw him. He is a total goofball and I can't help but smile when he's around. He's absolutely crazy and loves to love on people. (even if the heat makes it unbearable at times) 





Meet Emmanuel. What a joyful kiddo. The amount of  constant laughter and love shared has been on my heart since I left. (even if a majority of laughing was at my failing attempts to speak his language) 







This is one of the house mom's at the Joshua house. Not only is she absolutely beautiful on the outside, but she has such a beautiful heart. On the last day, I was a total mess saying goodbye and she called me over and told me to stop my crying because she knows that the boys won't forget me and that she will be praying for me and that Jesus loves me so much. 





Meet Loe. Every day he had a new skill to show me. on the first day it was a praise song he knew, the next day it was a haitian song he knew, the next day it was juggling multiple rocks, after that it was some type of break dancing, and on the last day it was this drawing. I'm very thankful for the bond created with Loe and that he was so willing to teach me about his story and to learn about mine. 



Meet Ketlove. I met her July 2013 when I first visited Haiti and the first day I met her she told me we were sisters. All throughout the trip she drew me pictures, wrote me letters, made me a necklace and even gave me her favorite hair clip. (for those of you who have heard me talk about my first trip to Haiti, you know my love for Ketlove already) but on the first day we visited the center, we hugged and cried and cried and the first thing she said to me was "you came back." I love her so much and I am so proud of the beautiful, strong woman she has become since 2013. She is now a female that the younger girls look up to for guidance and help around the center compared to the shy little girl I met the first day. I love her. I love her. I love her. 




Meet Donald. Not only was he my dance partner all week, but he was glued to my hip for every activity. Every moment - he was there. I didn't realize how literal that was until I looked back through my photos at the end of the trip and from the very first picture, he's there. He's in the background if it's not a photo with him. He was always around me. We share some serious love for each other. Leaving him was so difficult. Donald and I prayed and prayed and prayed on the last day for protection and guidance for one another and that one day (hopefully sooner rather than later) we will have another dance. 





Meet David. He's one of the older boys of the Joshua house. One day when we were sitting around, he asked me about my family. So I showed him pictures of my parents in Louisiana, my siblings, and my family in New York. He ended up writing a letter to Melissa, my momma in Louisiana and asked about her daily and would tell me to make sure she knows that Jesus loves her so very much. We now have pictures of David and his letter up in our house. We love you, David. 





Meet Neilson. He's the one rockin' the TMNT t-shirt. He is such a cutie and would meet me by the gate of the Joshua house when we arrived. After learning a few words in his language, he rewarded me with the flowers in my hair. These boys just love to give. 




Donald and I matching (this wasn't planned which made it so much cooler)













No comments:

Post a Comment